Use of CGI in Modern Cinema

 A short while ago, I decided to watch Aquaman.


I personally found Jason Momoa's performance excellent. I was also entertained by seeing Nicole Kidman trying to eat a goldfish. The entire film, however suffered. It had the feel of a videogame. I have watched some other "live-action" films lately that suffered the same fate.

Terminal CGI bloat. There, I said it. Not everything needs to be CGI. As a matter of fact, they key reason I have stopped watching superhero movies is because of the excessive use of CGI. Excessive and obsessive overuse. When I watch these films I feel disconnected from it. It feels like watching someone else playing a videogame. One I am not allowed to interact with.

I don't know about you, but, I play a videogame because it is interactive. The acting is also largely wooden in these films because it is really difficult to emote properly when you don't know yourself what is going on. Modern Cinema has strayed quite far from its roots. Rightly so. That doesn't mean that we deserve to be fed films that don't make us feel something more than vague disinterest. Don't get it twisted. CGI when used responsibly can be extremely impactful in evoking those emotions. 

Here's hoping this year has some original and thought provoking offerings. One final thought CGI, like 3D, is best used in small doses.

No comments: